Mold can grow indoors or outdoors—all it needs is an environment that’s warm and humid. It’s not unusual to find the most common types of household molds in basements, bathrooms, underneath sinks, around plumbing pipes and even in wall and ceiling materials. Toxic or non-toxic, all types of mold pose serious health risks to you and your family. Unfortunately, many homeowners aren’t aware they have a mold problem because they simply don’t know what to look for.
The signs of mold in your Framingham, MA home can vary. While the majority of mold warning signs tend to be visible on the insides of homes, others present as allergy symptoms or other health issues. Here’s what you need to know about detecting mold in your living space.
Warning signs of a mold problem
Mold is dangerous, and it should not be in or near your house. If you notice mold growth, have it removed from your home before it spreads out of control. Here are the top warning signs there may be mold in your home:
- Visible mold: Molds can appear in more than one color. Some molds are white and threadlike. Some form into clusters of little black spots. Others might be all black, gray-brown, gray-green or white and splotchy. If there’s wallpaper or vinyl in your home, be on the lookout for pink, orange or purple mold.
- Mold smell: Another telltale sign you might have mold in your home is a noticeable odor. Not all molds have an odor, but many do. The smell can linger in the affected space, or only be detected some of the time. A persistent musty odor is a huge indicator of mold.
- Water damage: Moisture left to its own devices will eventually grow mold. With this in mind, be sure to closely investigate water stains and discoloration on floors, ceilings or walls, as well as peeling, cracking or bubbling paint or wallpaper.
- Past flooding: No matter how well you cleaned up after a flood, the odds are good that your home has some form of mold growth somewhere. Call a mold identification company for an assessment.
- Water leaks: A mold problem from a leak is not always noticeable. If mold growth is not obvious on a surface, but you smell mold, there could be a water leak behind a wall, cabinet or other hidden spot. Repairing leaks and dealing with condensation quickly is the key to avoiding mold growth.
Symptoms of mold allergies
In many cases, household mold leads to allergies and other health issues. Allergy-like symptoms may be caused by mold growing inside your home, but you might assume it’s seasonal allergies. If your symptoms get better when you leave the house, though, mold could be the problem. Watch for the symptoms of mold allergies, including coughing, sneezing, congestion, runny nose, sore or itchy throat, itchy and watery eyes, skin irritation, sinus headaches and wheezing or difficulty breathing.
Don’t ignore the signs of mold in your Framingham, MA home. Call the team at All N 1 Mold Removal today!